Friday, February 27, 2009

DAVE'S DEATH

We just got word that Stephen's boss died today. He was at a conference in Florida when he had a couple of deep strokes a few days ago. He's been in a coma in a hospital there and died this morning. Dave was a friend of ours, just four months older than Stephen, and an all-around good guy. We are shocked and heartbroken.

Life can change so quickly. Unemployment. Illness. Accident. Death.

Would I be prepared? Would you?

I'm so deep into planning and preparing for our Big Trip that I begin to believe I have real control. That I can make happen what I want to happen. And often, that is true. Or seems so.
But the reality is, we control nothing. Not our families, not our stuff, not our plans, not our life. All we truly control is our own will.

Dave's death is a lesson for me in Serendipity. Again. A reminder to stay humble, to stay grateful, to stay flexible. To remember Who is in control. To remember to love life while I'm here. To remember to love.

Life is precious. And fragile. A gift of time and experience. I hope I use mine well. I hope you use yours well. I hope Dave is content with his, in retrospect.

Live well.

2 comments:

  1. Baby Moran's departure really touched me deeply. I felt like that she could have been my baby girl. Life can change courses very fast. I am happy to be where I am in life with my little family watching my boys to grow, watching my husband to flex his intellects and watching me to love us. Yep, I am included in the loving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I LOVE reading what you write - it's really wonderful and thought provoking!

    ReplyDelete