Monday, May 25, 2009

BEACHES AND BOOKS

You would think that it would be easier to find internet connections in Spain than in Guatemala, but alas, that has not been the case. Here we are in Ibiza, an island in the Mediterranean. It seems to be the beach playground of Europe, much as Hawaii is for Americans. Today Gloria went off on an excursion with some new young friends from England (and their parents) to visit one of the 50 or 60 beaches here on the island. Grace and I sat around and read books and Stephen looked very busy at the computer all day, though I have no idea what he was doing without an internet connection. We are sitting in a little cafe on the bay now, using up our "free" hour of wifi. There is a huge marina just across the way, with little boats and big yachts from all over the world. We are staying in a little town called Santa Eulalia, 20 km north of Ibiza town, or as the Spanish say it, "Ibitha". Every evening, we join all the people in strolling the waterfront, in the ritual "paseo" so common here in Spain.

Here's what we're reading lately:

Lisa: A Wrinkle in Time, Demon in the White City, Angels and Demons, The Outside Man, Dracula, Shadow of the Wind (excellent!), Into Thin Air.

I am currently reading a 1200 page book by Rutherfurd called London, which provides a pretty interesting fictionalized history of London. And Harry Potter in Spanish, which, while it is a bit of work for me, I am quite enjoying. Also a quick British murder mystery. And the Book of Mormon.

Grace: Dracula (the original by Bram Stoker), Because of Winn-Dixie, A Wrinkle in Time, Jane Eyre (which she loved), The Princess Bride. She does projects for each book for homeschool.

Gloria: Dr. Dolittle Tales, Charlotte's Web, Harry Potter, Peter Pan and Wendy, Because of Winn-Dixie. She, too, has done some interesting book projects.

We are reading Midsummer Night's Dream together.

Well, we're off to finish our nightly paseo.

Tomorrow, more books and beaches.

4 comments:

  1. I LOVE A Wrinkle in Time. I loved it as a kid and reread it as an adult. There is a whole series, you know.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I was going to say the same thing as my mom. Probably one of my all time favorite books.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Grace, I love Jane Eyre as well! Sadly, I haven't read A Wrinkle in Time, yet. Perhaps I'll get on the ball and check it out this week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love A Wrinkle in Time. I just read it yesterday again. I love reading books that I like. I have not read Jane Eyre. Maybe I should check that out. How much fun you are having! We will maybe post video of the boys for you. I loved Nolan's video. Bye!

    ReplyDelete