Sunday, April 12, 2009

A DAY AT THE VOLCANO





Yesterday Gloria, Lisa, and I climbed all the way to the top of the world and saw the world create itself. We went and climbed a Volcano called Pacaya, which is one of the four active volcanoes in Guatemala. Guatemala has 31 volcanoes. We all rode horses up. Lisa always guided her horse the long way, so she wouldn't run over the hikers just ahead of us. Gloria’s horse was very smart and always took the right path. And mine . . . my horse ran into other horses. Without my awesome guide, I would think the horse would run of its own accord. On the way up the horses had to go on these horrible trails, cobblestone. But once we passed that, it was just dust and some narrow parts. We stopped a few times admiring the beautiful countryside. When we got to a part where the horses couldn’t go, we were all grateful to get off a walk, for we have been sitting for about and hour or more. When we got off the horse we saw a huge hole in the ground we couldn’t see anything at the bottom for we were in a cloud. We made our way around and out of the cloud. Then, we headed down into the crevices filled with dried lava. It took a while for everyone in our group to get into the crevices for some places weren't stable enough to stand on. When we were stopped, people started to roam around and some found a hole in the lava where a fire was starting. There were also places where you could feel the hot parts of the earth; some were so hot you couldn’t put your hand there. My sister Gloria started heading up, way up on the highest point you could go; I started following her. In this one area I was making my way down this hill of lava then I fell, because it was so hot, but I quickly went to the other side. Half way up to where Gloria was, I turned around. I went and sat on a cold lava rock, because my shoes were so warm I thought they were melting! After a while our group headed back. My mother’s knee isn’t so well, so we (my mom and I) were behind because I hurt my ankle. It was getting dark fast, but we made it down the volcano.
Now we can say I climbed an active volcano in Guatemala!

5 comments:

  1. Nicely written, Grace. You get an A!
    Your story reminds me of my hike up an active volcano. It ends with me breaking my leg, so not as happy an outcome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That sounds like an amazing hike, Grace! Isn't it neat to see how beautiful the world can be in so many different ways? I miss you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. holy cow grace! that sounds soo cool! I love how you said you felt your shoes melting, I've done that to some shoes while camping but that was cuz my feet were cold and I stuck them too close to the fire. anyway I wanted to say congrats on climbing an active volcano, I don't think I would have done it, even if I got to ride a horse. keep posting your great adventures, I'm excited to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great story, Grace! That is so cool that you got to climb anactive volcano! Sorry about your ankle. Is it getting better? I hope you will better soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is quite an accomplishment! Now I have to add it to my list! Keep the stories coming and giving me new ideas, cause one day I hope to travel like you!

    ReplyDelete